Seven Kings

Seven Kings is a district of Redbridge in London, England, situated approximately two miles from Ilford town centre. Seven Kings forms part of the Ilford post town. Historically part of Essex, it was part of the Municipal Borough of Ilford until 1965 when it was incorporated into Greater London.

 

The area contains lots of green spaces including Seven Kings Park, a large open space containing sports facilities such as tennis courts, a sports ground, and a bandstand. There is also Westwood Park, a smaller open space and playground on Meads Lane.

 

The earliest recorded use of the name is as Sevekyngg or Sevekyngges in 1285, possibly meaning ‘settlement of the family or followers of a man called Seofoca’.

 

Seven Kings has not historically formed a parish or other division; instead it was part of the ancient parish of Ilford in the Becontree hundred of the county of Essex, which formed from 1894 the Ilford Urban District (later municipal borough). Seven Kings is situated next to the ancient Roman road between London and Colchester and was rapidly developed during the 19th century following construction of the Great Eastern Main Line railway.

In 1965 the Ilford parish and municipal borough were abolished by the London Government Act 1963, and the area of Essex including Seven Kings has since formed part of Greater London.

 

Located in the immediate area are Mayfield High School (London), Palmer Catholic Academy and Seven Kings High School. Primary schools in this area include Downshall Primary School, Farnham Green Primary School, South Park Primary School, Seven Kings Primary School, isaacnewtonacademy primary school, isaacnewtonacademy secondary school and Eastcourt Independent School.

 

The area is served by Seven Kings railway station on the Great Eastern Main Line to/from Liverpool Street station. Train services are operated by TfL Rail, branded as Crossrail since May 2017.

 

The nearest London Underground station is Newbury Park on the Central line.